What is the Missouri Seal of Biliteracy?
The Missouri Seal of Biliteracy is an award granted by a local district to recognize a student who has attained proficiency in English and one or more other world language(s) before high school graduation. The recognition of attaining biliteracy becomes a part of the high school transcript for these students and serves to certify attainment of biliteracy for the community, employers and universities.
The Missouri Seal is meant to
- encourage the study of a second language;
- recognize, promote, and praise students for their accomplishment;
- value diversity;
- provide employers with a means of identifying bilingual employees;
- provide universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants;
- prepare students with 21st century skills that will benefit them in a global economy and society; and
- strengthen relationships and honor the cultures and languages in a community.
Benefits to Earning the MO Seal of Biliteracy
- Certifies attainment of biliteracy to employers, universities, and the community
- Provides for possible university incentives
- Provides official documentation on high school transcript
- Offers recognition at high school graduation ceremony
- Gives special recognition from the district including a certificate and a graduation cord.
Seal of Biliteracy Eligibility
The Missouri Seal is intended to be earned by graduating high school students as well as awarded and celebrated at the culmination of the students’ senior year. Native English speaking students may acquire the second language through traditional world language classrooms, community-based programs, at home, worldly experiences or any other method attempted by the student. English learners (ELs) and other heritage language learners are also eligible. It is important to emphasize that ALL students acquiring any language in addition to English is a potential awardee. As the Missouri Seal is intended to promote not only the acquisition of a second language but also the participation in a global society and economy, a measure of sociocultural competency is required of all students earning the Missouri Seal.
Information provided by the MO Seal of Biliteracy Resource Guide.
Seal of Biliteracy 9-12 Building Sponsors
- Meghan Forbes (firstname.lastname@example.org): Lee’s Summit High School
- Hannah Brizuela (email@example.com): Lee’s Summit North High School
- Anthony Dabalos (firstname.lastname@example.org): Summit Lakes Middle School